Amazon is automatically enrolling you in this. I know, sounds shady right? You have to physically OPT OUT if you don't want your device to participate as of this Tuesday June 8th.
They're trying to extend the range of their "low bandwidth" devices by doing this. This affects people who have not just Echo devices but also Ring floodlight and spotlight cameras.
Instructions for Alexa app:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Open Moreand select Settings.
- Select Account Settings.
- Select Amazon Sidewalk.
- Turn Amazon Sidewalk On or Off for your account.
Instructions for Ring app:
- Open the Ring app
- Go to Control Center by tapping the three-lined icon in the upper left-hand corner of the screen
- Select Sidewalk and use the toggle icon to opt out
- It will ask you to confirm you opt-out. Users can opt back in the same way.
photo: Getty Images